Do you love facts? So does Gapminder, and we are looking for more people like us.
During the past 10 years Gapminder has become world-famous for dismantling global misconceptions and promoting a fact-based worldview everyone can understand. We systematically ask people fact-questions about the world, wanting to reveal and dismantle the largest misconceptions about basic global facts in all kinds of topics, from demography to climate change and the global financing system, and many more.
Data accuracy is absolutely key to us. That’s why we triple-check every fact and number we use.
In the coming weeks and months, we need more fact checkers to help us on a big misconception project. That’s why we are looking for you!
About you and the fact-checker role
Ideally, we are looking for someone with a background in journalism. You can’t be afraid to pick up the phone to lots of experts to ask their opinion about a dataset or a data source.
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working with numbers. You don’t have to be a mathematician or statistician, but you have to be able to make simple calculations.
You have to be absolutely committed to accuracy. We need to use the most reliable and also the latest data and it is up to the fact-checker to make sure we have both. We cannot compromise our standards for accuracy.
Because most data has some limitations, we need you to think critically, weighing up the feedback you have received from experts to make a recommendation about how we use the data and, if we do, what we need to include in our public communication in order for it not to be misleading.
Your responsibility will be to check, double check, and triple check facts with experts. We need to be aware of any doubts or margins of error in the data we use, even if it comes from international NGOs with stellar reputations.
Basic qualities and requirements
- You have a background in journalism or similar
- Knowledge and interest in the Sustainable Development Goals and global development is valuable
- You have good numerical, analytical and fact-checking skills
- You have a detailed and critical mindset
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills in English. Other languages are an asset.
- You are able to clearly communicate and collaborate with team members and external consultants.
- Ability to work independently and to take initiatives
Anywhere, online (there is office space in Stockholm, Sweden if you live close by)
Terms, to be discussed
- Temporary contract, with start immediately for a 3-6 months project (could evolve into a position at Gapminder Foundation)
- Full or part time, super-flexible working hours
How to apply
If this sounds interesting, please send in your application 2019-12-19 at the latest by following these steps:
- Take the Gapminder Test: http://forms.gapminder.org/s3/test-2018
- Send in a short letter of introduction (max 1 A4) (or very short video!), explaining why you think you fit this job description.
- Send in your CV (short version) to [email protected]
The position will be filled as soon as possible, so do not wait to send in your application!
Gapminder is an independent Swedish foundation with no political, religious or economic affiliations. Gapminder is a fact tank, not a think tank. Gapminder fights devastating misconceptions about global development. Gapminder produces free teaching resources making the world understandable based on reliable statistics. Gapminder promotes a fact-based worldview everyone can understand. Gapminder collaborates with universities, UN, public agencies and non-governmental organizations. All Gapminder activities are governed by the board. We do not award grants. Gapminder Foundation is registered at Stockholm County Administration Board.