During the past 10 years Gapminder has become world famous for explaining a fact-based worldview and for teaching Factfulness. We have built a huge global online audience, but most of our ideas haven’t been published yet, because we are missing an effective process for finalizing and delivering new content to our audience. Instead of delivering, we often keep inventing new ideas all the time.
This is why we need you: an experienced producer who has managed content production before. You have worked in a newsroom or in another media production process with frequent deliverables. You’ve got the skills to lead and coordinate content creators working with multiple media formats, including graphics, text, film and web pages. You enjoy being in a constant planning and re-planning mode, predicting and solving upcoming problems for future deadlines, and you love facilitating team collaboration to make sure things get delivered in time.
Such proactive process skills is exactly what’s needed to turn our ever-growing treasury of drafts and ideas into high quality content and make sure it’s published on a frequent basis. If you can make this happen, Gapminder has the channels to reach hundreds of millions of curious people around the world. People who are fed up with the avalanche of overdramatic media reports in their online feeds. People who want to see a fact-based worldview on a daily basis, to reduce unnecessary stress and make better decisions. People who want Gapminder to demonstrate Factfulness in practice.
– You will be responsible for maximizing Gapminder’s output of high quality content.
– You will build a flexible team of content producers and coordinating their work.
– You will plan daily and weekly deadlines, and make sure they are not missed.
– Plan content: On a regular basis, you will plan the content and deadlines in close collaboration with the heads of R&D and Communication, which currently means Anna & Ola Rosling. Together with them you will populate the content delivery calendar for the next couple of months, with well defined deliverables on a weekly and daily basis. The content will consist mainly of data-driven stories about global statistics and analysis about common misconceptions about these. The output formats will be infographics, videos, articles, social media posts, posters, slideshows, web-campaigns, and whatever other media format we realize we need.
– Create a team: You will create a team of talented content producers who probably will be a mixture of full time staff members and external consultants, whom you may recruit from your professional networks or through other channels.
– Defining and delegating tasks and responsibilities: You will predict what work needs to be done and break down separate tasks to different team members and keep track of their progress to make sure they will reach the deadline.
– Facilitate the team: You will predict and solve dependencies and bottlenecks and communicate any changed plans to directors and team members, in order to hit the deadlines.
– Plan for future deadlines: You will proactively plan for future deadlines while the team is working towards the next one. In this way we will not miss the special competences and preparation needed for creating the content that is planned for future deadlines. You will also pile up additional content to make sure we keep publishing during holidays and vacations.
– Review and iterate: Before finalizing content for a deadline, you will make sure it has passed the review of the heads of R&D and Communication, which currently means Anna & Ola.
– Finalize and deliver content: After the team has adjusted the content based on the feedback from reviews, you will make sure it gets finalized in time for the deadline. When the content is ready, it may be other people who are going to publish it. Your task is to get it ready and deliver it to the people responsible for publishing it in different channels in the near future.
– Create guidelines: You will write guidelines for future content production, such as style-guides for copy and design, based on the feedback you receive about how the content performs in various channels.
– Improve the process: In retrospective you will evaluate together with the team, what went good and what went bad, and use this to improve the process so that previous experiences leads to a team that stays happy and productive.
– You have 7+ years of experience of media production.
– You have strong project management and organizational skills.
– You have good numerical and analytical skills.
– You have strong written and verbal communications skills.
– You are able to clearly communicate and collaborate with team members and external consultants.
– You are able to manage many projects at once.
– You have strong knowledge of professional office software.
Södermalm, Stockholm, Sweden
The work will start as soon as possible, when we have found the right person for the job.
We will send feedback to all applicants, no later than January 15, 2019.
How to apply
Please send an email to: [email protected], with the following attachments:
1. The pdf-diploma you received when you passed the Gapminder Test 2018: gapm.io/test18
2. Your CV
3. A short letter of introduction, explaining why you think you fit this job description.
Looking forward to hear from you!
🙂 Ola Rosling